Saturday, February 2, 2013

Day 33 - The Polka Dot Hypothesis

One of the problems with doing this blog is that I am constantly wearing mediocre utility players from the past decade, but never any of my all-stars.  What's the fun in buying a new sweater if I'm only allowed to wear mock turtlenecks from the late 90s? Well, that all changes this weekend. Since I'm attending a convention (which has absolutely nothing to do with knitwear, I promise.  I do have other interests), and possibly taking photos with famous people, I can assure you that there will be no acrylic sweaters from New York & Company in my suitcase.


I didn't realize that my dress form was so voluptuous...

This is Kate Spade.  Your argument is invalid.









I'm sure that, in-and-of-itself, this sweater probably doesn't look too specular.  It's color-blocked, has on-trend 3/4 length sleeves and a respectable fiber content.  AND IT'S KATE SPADE!  Actually, I bought it because it accompanied a cute polka dot dress from Kate Spade really nicely, and I am not very adventurous in mixing brands. If the Nordstrom catalogue says it matches, who am I to argue?
Maybe this was kind of like cheating.  I didn't really put this sweater to the test in a real-world situation, but, then again, I did wear it almost all day...and in public (I even wore it to see "Book of Mormon").  I'm not sure how much more "real" I could get with this one.  Perhaps I'll try to pair it with something other than the dress at some point (am I allowed to break up Garanimals?), so I suppose my rating for this sweater is really only based on how well it worked with this dress.  Which it did.  Sometimes one item of clothing has to take a back seat to another (or so I've gathered from Clinton and Stacy). In this case, the polka dot dress was the star and this cardigan was the bit player.  And he played his part very nicely.

My rating: Johnny Galecki.  As someone who has only now discovered the genius of The Big Bang Theory, I have become quite enchanted with Jim Parsons, the breakout star of the show.  But, as we all learned from Will and Grace, one cannot have a show with "Just Jack"--you have to have your supporting players. It doesn't take a PhD in physics to understand that the best straight men are there to support and encourage the zany genius of their sidekicks, while rarely ever getting credit for their selfless acts.  Although this sweater might seem somewhat dull (I'll admit that I've been guilty of reading a magazine during the "Leonard" scenes), especially in relation to its cost (again, people--it's Kate Spade!), it supported the pratfalls and antics of its co-star, and let his true, polka-dotted genius shine through. This sweater might not ever prove String Theory (something that seems to be very important to the characters on this show), but it can certainly make a cool dress look very smart indeed. Bazinga!

No comments:

Post a Comment