Sunday, February 3, 2013

Day 34 - An All-Star Tribute to Gene Kelly

When I was talking to one of my friends about this blog, she asked me, with deep concern in her voice, "What if your Mom reads the blog and you make fun of something that she gave you?"

There are two errors in this statement.  The first being, "What if."  My Mom is pretty much the only one who reads this blog (except, according to the Blogger graphs, some advertising group in Germany). Secondly, and this is major, none of the sweaters heretofore reviewed in this blog have been from my Mom.  And for good reason: the sweaters she gives me are always amongst my very favorite.  Perhaps it's because she's never set foot in any of the stores that offer sweaters of the "Buy one, get the second one half off" variety.  Actually, it's because she has very good taste..and the more that I wear itchy and short acrylic sweaters, the more I come to appreciate the high quality and timelessness of her gifts.

For the past 33 days, I've been forced to come up with moderately talented actors or singers to describe my many "just so-so" sweaters.  Today, however, is different.  Today I get to wear one of my (if not the) favorite sweaters. Like a fine wine, I save this sweater for special occasions (except for me, "special" might mean something different that what it means to other people).  Unleash the Kraken!  I am wearing my cashmere All-Star (literally) sweater!!


Look at those adorable stripes on the sleeve!  


And in orange and two shades of pink, no less!


Contrary to the picture, this star is actually pink...


Don't you wish you had this sweater?  This is a case in which a multiple (i.e. an identical twin) would be ideal because I would just fall into a deep sweater-induced depression if anything happened to this guy. It is warm, soft, stylish, cheerful, and fits exactly right.  It is the epitome of what it means to be a sweater.  And you all know how much I like stripes on a sleeve...and the color orange.  It is absolutely a joy to wear.  I'm not sure if I knew how great this sweater would be when my Mom gave it to me for my birthday about 8 years ago, but, if it's not to late to say it, "Thank you, Mom!  This sweater is truly the bee's knees."

My rating: (and I've been waiting so long to give this rating) Gene Kelly.  He sings, he dances, he directs....he does it all, and does it to sheer perfection.  He makes me happy merely be his presence in a film, and he never disappoints (I'll even allow Xanadu because it's so awesomely awful). He is a treasure and a true star. Just like this sweater.

No comments:

Post a Comment