Sunday, February 10, 2013

Day 36 - A "Limited" Career

Since I make the rules for this blog (and there are more rules than you even know about), I only have myself to blame for this...but keeping a daily blog isn't as easy as it seemed on Julie and Julia (or even on Doogie Hauser). If you let just one day go by, all of a sudden you are trying to recall minute details about some very ordinary items of knitwear.  And if you let, ahem, a week (or two) go by, well, good luck trying to remember if you're keeping this sweater because it was warm or only that it didn't itch too much.

So, with plenty of further ado, I present to you...a sweater from the Limited (from, as always, circa 2000).  And not just a singleton sweater, mind you...no, this is a sweater that I own not just in blue, but also in black, plus a v-neck version in carnation (giving it an exotic name might make it seem more stylish). I'm not going to bother with the fiber content, because there are at least 5 different ones named, and I still don't get the distinction between "lambswool" and "wool," nor do I understand why they have to list "rabbit hair" separately from "angora."  Not really worth looking up on Wikipedia, however, especially since I just looked up "boucle" just to try to identify the genetic make-up of this turtleneck.




I'll admit that the color isn't quite as pretty as it appears in this picture.





I think this sweater falls into the "it'll do" category.  If I worked in an office, perhaps it would have been turned into a toaster cozy long ago, but, since I am in frozen conditions nearly every day, this semi-boucle selection just barely passes muster (especially since I am not exactly sure what "muster" entails). It fit well enough, and the neck stayed put.  I enjoyed the lovely "cornflower" color (a great Crayola color...even if the crayon was mysteriously more waxy than his 63 other brethren), and I never felt cold.  If this were a date on match.com, I might agree to a second, albeit coffee, date. I don't think that I would grab a step stool to reach this sweater if it were on a high shelf, but, if it were at eye-level, I would have no qualms about wearing this one for a day at the rink.

My rating: Dean Cain.  Despite his good looks and well-maintained physique, Mr. Cain can never seem to rise above his mid-90s television renown as the Man of Steel in "Lois & Clark."  There are other far less talented and not nearly as attractive actors that are enjoying a lot more success than the man who would be Superman, just as there are a lot of other sweaters that get more wear than this turtleneck...which is a shame on both counts. Sitting on the proverbial sweater shelf when one is that attractive can be tough, but, then again, there's no shame in the occasional Lifetime movie, or, even better, the Hallmark Channel's inevitable Christmas romances (always a guilty pleasure).  Dean, you may have been able to leap tall buildings, but sometimes you still need a step-stool. Maybe I'll try to keep this sweater on a slightly lower shelf...that's the least I can do for truth, justice, and the American turtleneck.


No comments:

Post a Comment