Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Day 14--Up the Creek Without a Tassel


Apparently, 1950s burlesque dancers aren't the only ones with a lot of tassels in their armoires.  Here I am, yet again, having to defend my choice to keep a sweater in the mix simply based upon a few little strands of yarn (but oh how adorable those tiny strands can be!).


Admit it...you think it's cute too.

Back in 2000, American Eagle became the official clothier for a little show called Dawson's Creek (featuring, oh, nobody you've ever heard of). While I'll confess that I watched the show, I don't recall that I ever expressed any desire to look more like Joey, Jen, and whoever that other girl was.  Nevertheless, I bought more than my share of Dawson's Sweaters (fortunately, this is the only one that remains...or so I think)...and I'm having trouble saying, nay, singing, "I Don't Want to Wait" to this purple and lilac, flower-adorned, tasseled citizen of Capeside.

Since I've been putting this sweater on death watch every few years or so, I knew all of my excuses for it ("Oh, it's a little short, but I bet it would look good over a dress.  Tres Anthropologie," or "Sure, it's a bit short and boxy...but so was Rocky.  When high-waisted pants come back in, this sweater will be the not-so-heavy weight champ.").  I had two outfits at the ready...a simple grey dress and some (embarrassingly dated) higher-waisted corduroys (hey, I bet somebody on Dawson's would have worn those...maybe Pacey's aunt).  

Experiment A: Wear it with a dress and, look out Zoey Deschanel.  Umm...only if the episode required her to dress up like a frumpy extreme couponer, (and hilarity ensues).  Didn't work...maybe Anthro would pair it with a whimsically patterned-dress, but I decided that I'd rather buy a new sweater from them than to figure out how to match it on my own.

Experiment B: Wear it with high-waisted pants so it won't look so short.  How did that work out for Jessica Simpson?  Same here!

So, while I hate to see a good tassel graduate (and I seriously considered taking it off the sweater and trying to put it on something else, but thought better of it), I really did give this one the old college try.

My rating: James Van Der Beek. While there's nothing that I applaud more than someone who's self-deprecating (brilliant move to play yourself on a sitcom...just as long as you're not Jennifer Grey--really obscure reference, sorry), try as I might, I just can't seem to make it work with him .  Maybe I just have Varsity Blues, or it's the boxy and short styling, or even that his forehead is more of a "fivehead," but, whatever it is, we just aren't meant to be together.  Much like Joey and Dawson.

No comments:

Post a Comment