Saturday, January 12, 2013

Day 17-- DKN, why?

You know how people always think that teachers wear sweater with school buses on them (with an apple turtleneck, of course) or that musicians gravitate towards ties featuring the treble clef? Well, when I started coaching figure skating, I believe I was under some misconception that we were obligated to dress like Suzy Chapstick (if you don't get the reference, consider yourself fortunate).  Despite the fact that I teach at a park district rink, I thought that I needed to appear as though I'd just stepped off the ski lift and onto the ice.  If I could've located a white fur hat (a la Julie Christie in Dr. Zhivago), you can bet that I would have worn it with this "DKNY Active" sweater (from, again, circa 2001).

I can't say that I wear this sweater a lot, or that I even recall the last time that I wore it.  I do know that it's 100% cotton (like all good ski sweaters should be?) and that the diagonal zipper at the neck used to befuddle me.





Can't you just see me on a chair lift with Goldie and Kurt?


To be honest, I came into today's challenge with low expectations.  In fact, I was kind of hoping that wearing this would be a miserable experience (if, for no other reason, than to make room for some of my more recent acquisitions). But, true to its name, this sporty little number ranks fairly high on the "active" scale.  I felt that it made me look "official" and more like a skating coach than some of the White Sox gear I've been known to sport during the season.  Sure, it's a little short, but not terribly so, and the stripes more than compensated for any irritants I felt with the neck zipper.

My rating: Cuba Gooding, Jr.  Good looking, sporty, and, while he may have peaked by the early 2000s (alas, Boat Trip may have been his Waterloo), he is undeniably talented and deserves a spot in the (albeit once-a-year) sweater rotation.  Perhaps we're not "showing him the money" like we used to, but nobody can make a sports movie like he can (that is, of course, as long as Kurt Russell and Denzel Washington are busy).  

No comments:

Post a Comment